Re: ITP: php-recaptcha -- PHP interface to recaptcha.net

Hello everybody,

I am not completely sure it is worth discussing php-recaptcha before
our archive administrators take their decision, but since there are already
other recaptcha packages in our archive…

Le Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 09:34:37PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen a écrit :

> There's nothing in youtube-dl's design that precludes it being used as
> part of a PHP or CGI script, at which point you'd have the exact similar
> case as with recaptcha.

> Even if we accept the premise that it's a RPC call, you have not
> explained why an RPC call done by php-recaptcha is fundamentally
> different from an IM client talking to a proprietary server.

> Why are (or should) remote, non-free data repositories (youtube)
> fundamentally different from remote, non-free data generation services
> (recaptcha)?

I think that the difference between data and service is a fundamental
difference. On the local system, we do not accept that a software require a
non-free library to operate, while we accept that a software manipulates
non-free user files (for instance, a family picture). I think that this
requirement is still valid for programs that are executed accross multiple
computers.

What distinguishes reCAPTCHA and the other network applications given as
example, that also require a connection to servers running proprietary
software, is that in the second case the connection involves only data transfer
and in the first it involves a remote computation that can be the essential
part of a more complex system (a login interface), which I think is much
more similar to the use of a non-free library.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan