Re: Modifying a file from another package (rather than replacing it)

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 14:10:08 +0100
Malte Forkel <malte.forkel@berlin.de> wrote:

> But, aside from the pbuilder specifics: Is there any policy, best
> practice, or LSB scheme for extending an existing package? Are there
> any hooks to re-apply changes to an existing package after it has
> been updated?

Only if that package explicitly supports such mechanisms and only
within the confines of what that extension mechanism can actually
achieve. Once your changes exceed what the hooks can achieve, you can
only expect to work with the developers of the other project upstream
and co-operatively merge the two types of operation - or else fork the
entire project and maintain all the code yourself.

This kind of thing is common with embedded development, it's why we had
a different version of dpkg-buildpackage, along with various other
tools, as part of the dpkg-cross package for several stable releases
until there was finally a version which could be merged back into dpkg
itself and the outdated forks were dropped.

Co-operate on a new version or fork the existing one - your choice.

--

Neil Williams