Re: Collecting data

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 16:41, derleader __ <derleader@abv.bg> wrote:
> Hi,
>      I'm developing C plugin for Debian which will be installed as kernel
> module. The problem is how to collect the data about:

why a module? a user-space tool/script/deamon is not enough for your needings?

> CPU Check – Utilization, Model, Number of Cores
>
> RAM Check – Total Memory, Free Memory, Memory Load
>
> HDD Check – Number of physical HDDs, Number of logical partitions, Total
> space, Free space
>
> Running processes – Total number of processes
>
> Logs – system logs such as error logs
>
> System uptime
>
> Users logged in and last login – total list of users
>
> Total network connections
>
> Check hardware parts model and number
>
> The kernel module will check the status of the OS every 5 minutes. What is
> the most efficient way to collect these data?

all this information are already exposed into /proc filesystem (that's
a direct interface to kernel data structures) or by several "standard"
linux tools (like free, netstat, loadavg, etc etc). You can write a
script to parse those info and <do what you have to> (we do it this
way).

Anyhow, this discussion is off-topic on debian-devel, and if you
really want to write a kernel module, it's better if you try to locate
a better forum for kernel development, where you will probably also
find information about kernel data structures to inspect.

Regards,