Re: How to make Debian more attractive for users

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 11:08:28 +0200
Bastien ROUCARIES <roucaries.bastien@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Steffen Möller <steffen_moeller@gmx.de> wrote:
> > This should probably then move to Debian-Project?

> >> IMHO this is worth another thread how to make Debian more attractive for
> >> users ...
> >>
> > The computing world have become such complex, that we are all mere users
> > somewhere. So yes, we should think more about our users.
> >

> Support of debian is excellent but we are less user friendly than
> ubuntu. For isntance the bug sytem could be made simplier for joe
> simpler user, using an http interface than reportbug-ng (what should
> be installed by default for your desktop user) or even mail. I think
> having a simple bug report form and wizard  will really help your
> user.

Unfortunately, the lower barrier of entry in Launchpad bugs merely
results in lower quality bug reports and an even more noticeable lack
of feedback when developers request more information. Unless the same
issue has already been reported in the Debian BTS, I habitually ignore
or invalidate Ubuntu bugs because there is little point in wasting time
on them.

I don't hide this "policy":

https://launchpad.net/~codehelp

It's not just launchpad, other www bug trackers suffer the same problems
- FIXING bugs is a lot more important than making it easier to report
bugs and bug reporters need to help get their bugs fixed by responding
to queries from developers and providing useful information from the
start. That is one thing that reportbug does quite well. It isn't easy
for a WWW interface to query your installed packages and list the
versions of dependencies which are installed. This kind of information
is vital to being able to fix many bugs.

> Last but not least improving the unbuntu to debian package transfert
> and therefore the project http://wiki.debian.org/Utnubu

*If* the package in Ubuntu is worth having in Debian.

--

Neil Williams