Re: lilo removal in squeeze (or, "please test grub2")

Hi,

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 10:39:52PM -0500, William Pitcock wrote:
> (4) Users need to test grub2 now.

I've been using grub2 for quite some time now on several different
systems with mixed success.

On simple standard system -- one disk, one kernel in /boot, no fancy
stuff -- it works quite well.

On other systems it often breaks miserably. Updates leave my system
unbootable every other time. One major problem are incompatible
versions of the boot loader installed in the MBR and grub.cfg.

Currently, automatic installation of grub in the MBR is a no-go for me,
because of #554790 but I can't prevent grub from automatically
updating grub.cfg which leads to incompatible versions, hence an
unbootable system.

On some systems the generated grub.cfg is useless for me. On each
update I have to check for changes and incorporate them in my own
hand-edited version.

It is my belief, that the whole automagic configuration system as it
is now is far to complex and convoluted. It is too inflexible to
support any requirements by the user the developers haven't thought
about and in this case you have to work actively against the system to
get what you want. See #578576. I'm not sure if this can be fixed or
if the whole system has to be rethought. Currently I'd tend to the
latter.

And because of the tight dependency between the loader and grub.cfg
and zero-tolerance of the loader to unknown parameters in grub.cfg, it
is far too fragile and very easily leads to an unbootable system.

Because of this, coupled with the many open bugs and the lack of
documentation, I'm not sure if grub2 is ready to be released to the
unsuspecting public.

Cheers,
harry