Why does bash make itself unconditionally /bin/sh?

Package: bash
Version: 4.0-7
Severity: serious

Having just had an argument on IRC about /bin/sh diversions, it appears that
the situation in Sid has changed again since I last looked at it.

As I understood the discussions at Debconf last year and on this list, dash is
now essential and the default /bin/sh. Bash is still essential and the default
interactive shell. It can optionally (based on a debconf question at install
time, or some other criteria on upgrades) provide /bin/sh should people want
the old behaviour. I've been happily using dash for system shell scripts and
bash interactively for a while and have been looking forward to that being the
default.

Having inspected an up-to-date sid chroot, it would appear that both bash and
dash are now essential and bash is diverting /bin/sh to itself with
/bin/sh.distrib pointing to dash. No amount of dpkg-reconfigure -plow gave me
the option to change it. This seems like a regression which kinda makes all the
effort on dash and bashims a little pointless..

It looks like this was introduced in 4.0-7 which fixes #546516.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matthew Johnson