Re: Xen, Squeeze, and Beyond

Hello,

----- "Ian Campbell" <ijc@hellion.org.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 11:29 +0100, Olivier Bonvalet wrote:
> >
> > But xen-tools have be removed from Squeeze, so I suppose it will be
> > more difficult to create new installations (require much more work
> > replace the xen-create-image script).
>
> Squeeze (32- and 64-bit) and Lenny (32-bit only) both support
> installation into a Xen domU using the regular Debian Installer,
> including preseeding etc. Instructions for use can be seen at
> <http://wiki.debian.org/Xen#DomU.28guest.29>. Squeeze even supports
> installation from ISOs into a Xen domU (using the multiarch
> amd64+i386
> +powerpc netinst ISO).
>
> Is there any way this functionality could be exposed via xen-tools to
> make it easier to deploy? (I don't know if/how it would fit into the
> xen-tools model).

xen-tools is similar to ApplianceKit, in that it invokes the same lowlevel
tools that debian-installer uses to install the guest OS instead of using d-i
directly.

However, xen-tools is more limited than ApplianceKit in the regard that
ApplianceKit has functionality somewhat like preseeding.

I don't know about DTC-Xen, I've never tried it, but I suspect it probably
works the same way as the above, or uses tarballs which is *ugh*.

William