Re: Changes in dpkg Pre-Depends

On Feb 23, Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com> wrote:

> The usual i386-centric reason: the PIC version is (~5%) slower than
> the non-PIC version.  See PACKAGERS in the source, section 4.1.
> I considered doing this only on i386, but since I only have an i386 to
> test on, I would worry about missing packaging bugs.
Using non-PIC code for a 5% speed up looks like an acceptable trade off
to me, but it really must be restricted only to architectures which
need it.
But there is no reason to statically link the packages: you can still
build the library non-PIC and dinamically link programs with it: this
will waste RAM as if they were statically linked, but at least will
save disk space.
Beware: this does not work on all architectures, so I think should be
enabled only for i386.

If this will cause bugs then somebody will report them, this is what
users are for... :-)

--
ciao,
Marco