Re: Misc developer news (#21)

Alexander Wirt schrieb am Saturday, den 20. February 2010:

> Mike Hommey schrieb am Saturday, den 20. February 2010:
>
> > On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 09:03:10AM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:

Please forget my previous mail, after reading it again I detected some lack
of coffee in my english (in fact weasel detected it). So let me rephrase my
thoughts.

Currently I don't see much reasons to convert most 1.0 packages to 3.0. I
don't see any advantages for packages which already have a patchsystem and
which only have one upstream source.

I'm still looking for reasons to convert to 3.0.

Things would be much easier for starters if dpkg would ship its own patch
helpers like push, pop and create patch. A 3.0 format which is working out of
the box without installing quilt and without the need to set QUILT_PATCHES
would be a real benefit for everybody.

Also the dpkg maintainer shouldn't beg maintainers to switch 3.0. If the
format has advantages and works without problems people will switch
automatically. And the last thing I want to see is that NMUs (or binNMUs)
convert a package to 3.0 unless the maintainer explicitly agreed to it.

Alex