Re: libqt3-mt-dev: Depends: libjpeg62-dev but it is not going to be installed

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 09:57:43AM +0100, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> [Sorry for duplicate]
>
> Hi there,
>
>  I am struggling to rebuild my package. I am thinking there is an
> issue with libvtk-java. So I tried in my pbuilder env the following:
>
> # apt-get build-dep vtk
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Note, selecting libjpeg8-dev instead of libjpeg-dev
> Note, selecting libpng12-dev instead of libpng-dev
> Note, selecting libtiff4-dev instead of libtiff-dev
>  libqt3-mt-dev: Depends: libjpeg62-dev but it is not going to be installed
>  libtiff4-dev: Depends: libjpeg62-dev but it is not going to be installed
> E: Build-dependencies for vtk could not be satisfied.
>

> Does it make sense that I report this issue to the above packages
> (libqt3-mt-dev and libtiff4-dev) ? They should Build-Dep on the
> virtual package libjpeg-dev right ?

The issue is not that libqt3-mt-dev and libtiff4-dev are Build-Depending
on libjpeg-dev, but that they are _Depending_ on it. I did not anticipate
that.

1) In my view,
 Packages should Depends and/or Build-Depends only on 'libjpeg-dev' and not on
libjpeg62-dev, not on libjpeg8-dev and not on 'libjpeg62-dev|libjpeg-dev' and
not on 'libjpeg8-dev|libjpeg-dev' etc.

2) This is still an unexpected breakage. There are about 48 such packages.
I will what I can do to reduce the issue.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.