Re: What criteria does ftpmaster use for the ‘copyright’ file of a package?

Ben Finney <ben@benfinney.id.au> writes:

[summary: package in NEW was rejected, then accepted; the only
difference was going from a ‘copyright’ file containing no duplication
of original-source copyright notices, to one containing copyright
notices that don't match the original source]

> It's not the file I have in my packaging VCS, so by default it will be
> overridden by any future upload; that's probably a matter for [the
> package sponsor] and me to sort out between us.
>
> It also doesn't match the copyright notices as found in the original
> source; those are rather more complex, and are different across
> different files. But the *license* terms are correct as stated in the
> file, as they always have been, since they are unchanged from the
> original upload of the package.
>
> In other words, the only difference between a package that was
> rejected and a package that was accepted is the addition to the
> ‘copyright’ file of some copyright notices that don't match the
> original source.
>
> So I don't understand the reasoning for rejecting a package that has
> the copyright notices intact in the source, but not duplicated into
> the ‘copyright’ file; and then accepting a package that is identical
> except for additional copyright notices in ‘copyright’ that don't
> match the original source.
>
> This isn't the first time I've been confounded by ftpmaster policy on
> this file. Exactly what is it that needs to be in the copyright file
> for ftpmaster to accept it, and what is the reasoning for that beyond
> what is in Debian Policy?

A little time after DebConf excitement has calmed down, I would still
like to see answers, in the public record, from the ftpmasters on this
issue.

I'm well aware of the edicts given, but they don't answer the question
of what criteria are being used, so we can have a chance of knowing
beforehand what is acceptable and what is not.

--
 \      “Software patents provide one more means of controlling access |
  `\      to information. They are the tool of choice for the internet |