Re: quilt 3.0 source format and dpkg-source/dpkg-buildpackage

Hi Goswin,

thanks for the very interesing and profound answer.

On Mi, 20 Jan 2010, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Bug #557623: Quilt should remember where it first got patches and
> series from

Good idea.

> > $ quilt new
> > ... bummer, there is now ./patches in my git repository
>
> Same as above. Major hassle.

Agreed.

> QUILT_PATCHES=debian/patches quilt new new-patch
> QUILT_PATCHES=debian/patches quilt add file
> edit file
> QUILT_PATCHES=debian/patches quilt refresh

What I am doing.

> The other thing is how to manage the source in version control now.
> Do you commit the source with all patches applied? Or all patches
> unapplied? Who makes sure that all patches are applied/unapplied and
> refresh for a commit?

I have all patches unapplied, and I want it that way. If I develop
and change something I do quilt push/pop/refresh myself. This can
NOT be automated anyway, becasue it needs often human intervention.
So I *really* like quilt for that, and I have converted long time
ago all packages from dpatch to quilt for that.

Again, I keep all the source unpatches. Actually I don't see
*why* they should be patched in the repository. I prefer having
several quilt patches for different thigns, and an automatic system cannot
know which change in which file belongs to which patch.

> I think to really make 3.0 (quilt) format with git comfortable you
> need more infrastructure in git-buildpackage and something like
> topgit. For each patch you create a branch and git-buildpackage would
> convert those into quilt patches and build then. The debian/patches
> dir itself probably shouldn't be in git at all. But that is just an
> idea, not a tried and working solution.

Maybe, but I have no intention to work on that since AFAIS the quilt
by itself does what I needd.

The only advantage that is really nice is the debian.tar.g with binary files.

> Give it time so proper tools for 3.0 (quilt) support can develope and
> then give it another try.

Maybe, ... but not now.

Best wishes

Norbert
JAIST, Japan            TU Wien, Austria           Debian TeX Task Force
Stay the patient course.
Of little worth is your ire.
The network is down.
                       --- Windows Error Haiku