Re: quilt 3.0 source format and dpkg-source/dpkg-buildpackage

Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> writes:

> On Mo, 28 Dez 2009, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>> > Mind that git-buildpackage with normal 1.0 source format does NOT pollute
>> > the git repository, so my expectation is that the 3.0 format does the
>> > same, but alas, it doesn't.
>>
>> Well, if you have the usual quilt rules, you working copy is also modified
>> until the next debian/rules clean. Here the clean doesn't unapply the
>
> I disagree:
>
> $ ls ~/.gbp.conf
> ls: cannot access /home/norbert/.gbp.conf: No such file or directory
> $ git status
> # On branch master
> nothing to commit (working directory clean)
> $ git-buildpackage -us -uc -rfakeroot -S
> dpkg-buildpackage: source only, diff-only upload (original source NOT included)
> Now running lintian...
> Finished running lintian.
> $ git status
> # On branch master
> nothing to commit (working directory clean)
> $
>
> So please tell me *what* has changed?
>
> Doing the same with source format 3.0 git status reports hundreds
> of differences.
>
> So please do not spread things that are not correct!

He did say that with 3.0 (quilt) format the "clean" state is with
patches applied, like you get after dpkg-source -x. That part is
different to 1.0 format where "clean" would have patches unapplied.

So when you go from 1.0 to 3.0 you will get a ton of files changed
after the first build + clean because now patches are applied.

MfG
        Goswin