Re: Invitation to the BSP in Tokyo/Japan,23 January 2010

Hi Zack,

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 04:54:48PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 04:34:26PM +0100, Axel Beckert wrote:
> > Without coordination with the BSP in Moenchengladbach[1] at the same
> > time, targeting the same groups of bugs is a bad idea.
>
> IMHO, you're overestimating the _additional_ risks of having 2 BSPs at
> the same time instead of one (which already has the risks you mention
> per se).

Hehe. Well, there was a slight panic on #debian.de because of the
announcement of the second BSP on that weekend. I was just the one who
formed a mail out of that panic and tried to not letting it escalate.
:-)

> First of all, it has been observed already, that a group of more than 2
> DDs hacking in a single room will end up communicating on IRC :-)

Hehe.

> While jokish, I think this defeats your argument about "local
> coordination" in a single BSP. This is not meant to be polemic at
> all, it is just my personal experience.

Yeah, I would have expected a wiki page for coordination anyway, even
for a single BSP. IIRC all BSPs I've attended so far had a wiki page
for coordinating and collecting the BSP's result. My hope was that by
acting quickly we don't end up having two such pages.

> To that end, BSPs already have tools to avoid conflicts *even among
> the local participant*, which are: the #debian-bugs channel you've
> already mentioned and the "claim" and "comment" features in Debbugs
> and bts.turmzimmer.net.

Ah, right, I knew I had forgotten something. Thanks for that hint!

		Regards, Axel
--
Axel Beckert - abe@deuxchevaux.org, abe@noone.org - http://noone.org/abe/