Re: defaulting to net.ipv6.bindv6only=1 for squeeze

On Sun, Jan 03, 2010 at 11:10:41AM +0100, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> > >  a) netstat garbling the addresses of connected endpoints
> > This is one of the reasons why bindv6only should be set.
>
> I'm not arguing about bindv6only. I'm only arguing programs should work
> without ipv6 loaded.

Somewhere I got lost in this discussion.

I thought the idea of setting bindv6only is that applications should be binding
both to IPv4 and IPv6 sockets. Not to IPv4 only, and not to IPv6 only.

In that case, how can correct programs be broken if IPv6 is not supported?
Surely it is just a matter of binding to IPv4 and ignoring the error that
occurs when trying to bind to the IPv6 socket (or vice versa if IPv6 is
supported but not IPv4)?
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.debian.net>