Re: Increasing developer productivity through tools

Florian Weimer writes:
> Have you got any suggestions for increasing productivity with proper
> IDE support for medium-sized C and C++ code bases?
>
> I've got a hunch that proper browsing support (searching for
> definitions/references, displaying static call trees) might help me to
> navigate unfamiliar code bases, making it easier to review and apply
> fixes.  Ctags does not seem to be reliable enough.  I would prefer
> something based on a real C/C++ implementation, honoring effective
> preprocessor #defines and so on.  (C++ is desirable, but optional.)
>
> The last time I looked at Eclipse CDT, it was somewhat approximate in
> nature (just like ctags).  So I wonder if there are other options.  My
> trouble with evaluating them myself is that I often can't tell whether
> a certain feature is buggy or not reliably supported, or if the
> project setup is wrong and the IDE cannot extract the required data
> from the source files.
>
> The IDE does not have to run on Debian.  It can be proprietary, but
> obviously, it must be possible to get a single-seat license, and it
> shouldn't cost significantly more than the computer it will run.

Other options with browsing/searching support include:

http://www.codeblocks.org/features
http://codelite.org/Main/ReadMore

I have very limited experience with them, but at least I found that searching
for definitions works as expected and are generally much better than Eclipse
CDT. Both have ITP's, and perhaps some old package are still hanging at
mentors.debian.net for a sponsor.

--
pub 4096R/0E4BD0AB <people.fccf.net/danchev/key pgp.mit.edu>