Re: bug #561324: asking questions in postinst

Patrick Schoenfeld <schoenfeld@debian.org> writes:

> Uhm, yes, you are right. So it wouldn't help anyway. Only possibility
> would be a versioned dependency (according to [1]) or to really do it in
> the postinst. Leads to the question which of the solution we'd prefer.

> [1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-binary.html#fr10

I'm not sure what sort of versioned dependency you're referring to, but
config scripts can only use binaries from essential packages or debconf
itself.  See debconf-devel:

       Note that the config script is run before the package is unpacked.
       It should only use commands that are in essential packages.  The
       only dependency of your package that is guaranteed to be met when
       its config script is run is a dependency (possibly versioned) on
       debconf itself.