Re: udev and /usr

On Sep 04, Bjørn Mork <bjorn@mork.no> wrote:

> The issue is most certainly raised by other distributions.  See e.g. the
> thread starting with http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/62973
This is about the micromanagement of dependencies which greatly excites
Gentoo users, so is not very relevant (and Gentoo itself is hardly
relevant anyway).

> But I guess Red Hat and Suse decide.  Debian does what they do, nobody
They are currently providing most of the manpower for developing udev
and the related infrastructure so this is pretty much the practical
effect, yes.

> cares about Gentoo, and Ubuntu does what Debian does. No, wait, they
> don't: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udev/+bug/372241
This may become an interesting development, but it is not consistent
with the behaviour so far of the Canonical employees involved in the
development of udev.

> Either you follow the FHS or you don't.  You seem to argue that most
> distributions don't and that Debian therefore shouldn't either.  That's
> sad.  Please fix the FHS first if you think it should be fixed.  Or
> leave it alone and fix udev instead.
Actually I am carefully avoiding to argue for either side, and trying
to provide useful facts instead.
On your part, you could try to understand them instead of attributing to
me straw man positions.

--
ciao,
Marco