Re: Consistent formating long descriptions as input data (Was: RFC: Better formatting for long descriptions)

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009, Andreas Tille wrote:
> I'm afraid that this leaves to much space for broken input as the
> airport-utils example in the end of [1] shows. Manoj tried to prove
> that markdown works perfectly - but it does not because the
> indentantion of the original input is just wrong. I want to fix
> THIS.

So long as we have an implementation which works for the vast majority
of cases we can file bugs to make it work for the few cases where it
doesn't. (Or the output can just be slightly broken in those cases;
it's not like that's a huge problem.)

> Moreover I see no reason to bind anybody to a certain library like
> markdown.

It's perfectly ok to punt the specification of the format to an
external library, at least initially. If enough people don't want to
use the markdown libraries, they'll either code up patches to policy
to codify the equivalent of markdown formatting in policy or write
equivalent code to markdown.

It seems to me like the next step is to go ahead and make a few
patches to packages.debian.org to change to a markdown (or equivalent)
formatting of the long description with whatever pre-processing is
necessary, see how well it works, submit a patch to policy to codify,
and move on with filing bugs for those bits that don't work properly.

Don Armstrong

--
Sentenced to two years hard labor (for sodomy), Oscar Wilde stood
handcuffed in driving rain waiting for transport to prison.  "If this