Re: where is /etc/hosts supposed to come from?

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 11:12:41AM +0000, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On 2009-12-29, Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:
> > It's not "hypothetical".  IPv4 sucks so badly compared to IPv6 that once you
> > switch your internal hosts to v6-only, you don't want to go back.
>
> You don't switch to v6-only, you switch to dual stack IPv4+IPv6.  One point
> being that with a v6-only host you're totally unable to reach IPv4 sites
> without the help of application-level proxies.

Dual stack means you have to configure BOTH.  Of course, that's needed for
world-facing servers only.  Client machines will want dual stack too, but
these can be behind plain outgoing-only NAT v4-wise.

I can't think of a reason to keep IPv4 on internal servers, though.  In
fact, this does give you an extra layer of security if you firewall
something wrong: when an IPv6-only box gets pwned, it's of little use for
your usual attacker.

The main benefit of IPv6 is making things simpler, and dual stacking doesn't
help there.

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be