Re: bug #561324: asking questions in postinst

Hi,

On Tue Dec 29, 2009 at 15:13:54 +0100, Patrick Schoenfeld wrote:
> Hi,

> > > No, not all. There are 4 questions asked.
> > > 1) brokers list, the list is received by the package-binary and the user
> > > selects te broker he wants to use. For this I can use a dns-query (type
> > > TXT) but dig and host are both not essential packages, so this still has
> > > to go to the postinst.
> >
> > Well, this could be solved by a pre-depends on dnsutils |
> > bind9-host. Pre-depends are often frowned upon, what do others think
> > of this for this case?
>
> I've discussed this issue here with Martin Zobel-Helas and
> he and I agree that in this limited case it could be a good solution:
>
> - It solves the problem in question (without a code duplication)
> - A pre-depend loop is highely unlikely. After all we should slap
>   anybody pre-depending on aiccu very hard.
> - A Pre-Depend on utilities that are likely to be installed anyway
>   seems like a not so great risk to avoid it.

Nevertheless there should be an extra thread on debian-devel@l.d.o that
announces the intend to add a Pre-Depends for this package.

Martin
--
 Martin Zobel-Helas <zobel@debian.org>  | Debian System Administrator
 Debian & GNU/Linux Developer           |           Debian Listmaster