Re: bug #561324: asking questions in postinst

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 16:40:50 +0100
Reinier Haasjes <reinier@haasjes.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to solve bug #561324 which uses it's own binary in the
> config script.
>
> It uses it's own binary to get some information (tunnel id) which uses
> login+password to retrieve, it really needs this to compile a good
> config script (if you have more than 1 tunnel).
>
> My idea on solving this is to move the complete config script to
> postinst and ask all the question there.

Ask the question in a debconf question and retrieve it from debconf
insiide the postinst, just like other packages.

> I read everywhere that this is not the preferred way to go but I can't
> discover if it is prohibited by the policy.

?? The same section as the violation behind the bug report itself ??

http://www.uk.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-binary.html#s-maintscriptprompt

Package maintainer scripts may prompt the user if necessary. Prompting
must be done by communicating through a program, such as debconf, which
conforms to the Debian Configuration Management Specification, version
2 or higher.

> Is it prohibited by the policy to ask questions in the
> postinst-script?

Without debconf-2.0 compatibility, yes. Policy says 'MUST'.

(compatibility means that the package uses a sensible default when
installed in non-interactive mode, e.g. debootstrap or multistrap.)

--

Neil Williams