quilt 3.0 source format and dpkg-source/dpkg-buildpackage

Can someone of the proposers of this (nice? stupid? rubbish?) format
explain me please why on earth:
- git-buildpackage
- dpkg-buildpackage
- and in fact at the bottom dpkg-source
fuck around in my git repository, applying patches, just for builing
a source package?

If someone is so kind and tell me how that should work:

$ git-buildpackage -us -uc -S
... ok new quilt 3.o source package has been built
$ git status
...peng, all patches applied, but I don't WANT them applied!!!
$ quilt pop -a
... blabla cannot find bla bla...
$ git status
...still a pain

Ok, it might be that some people enjoy working permanently in that format,
but then, how to create a new patch? quilt new does not work:
$ quilt new
... bummer, there is now ./patches in my git repository

I don't know what big advantages there really are, I have seen the
announcements again and again and haven't seen any compelling reason in
it. The only reason is that it is just plain counter intuitive
to work with.

Well, anyway, I converted one pakcage to quilt 3.0, and I will convert
it back. I don't care for it.

Have a nice day.

Best wishes

Norbert
JAIST, Japan            TU Wien, Austria           Debian TeX Task Force
`We've got to find out what people want from fire, how
they relate to it, what sort of image it has for them.'
The crowd were tense. They were expecting something
wonderful from Ford.
`Stick it up your nose,' he said.
`Which is precisely the sort of thing we need to know,'
insisted the girl, `Do people want fire that can be fitted
nasally?'
                 --- Ford "debating" what to do with fire with a marketing
                 --- girl.