Re: SpamAssassin is run on Alioth, but its results are ignored

* Hector Oron <hector.oron@gmail.com> [091217 15:27]:
> I had the ocasion to meet jidanni in one of his talks on bug reporting
> [1]. The paper of a bug reporter is not patching or anything else but
> point the problem.

100% agreed

> I think most of his reports are well written and
> provide enough hits to reproduce the issues,

Well, while there are some well-written reports and many
valuable hints, there is also quite a mass of very lousy bug reports
from him.

> but why people have this *odd* feeling on him?

I think part of it is selective perception. We do not usually look
at the report but only at the report. So his sensible reports are
usually not remembered to be from him. But if you get an extremly
bad report, you look at the reporter address and have a guessed chance
of 50% to see his address there.

Another part is of course our striving for perfection. I guess the same
mechanism that cause some people to have very strong feelings against
people with really many packages with some very badly maintained under
them, comes into play here:
Doing many bad bugreports easily outperforms many tolerable ones
with respect to the feelings you cause.

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link
--
"Never contain programs so few bugs, as when no debugging tools are available!"
	Niklaus Wirth