Re: Debian as open project

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009, Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 03 2009, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Luk Claes wrote:
> >> Unfortunately Debian does not seem to be able to also have real
> >> constructive discussion about complex issues on the lists. So for these
> >> issues we usually have real discussions on IRC, real life, phone or
> >> private mail. The final result of these discussions is normally also on
> >> the lists as proposals or announcements.
> >>
> >> So I still think that Debian is an open project.
> >
> > If you dislike the mailing lists, use some other, open communications
> > medium. However, communication via press-release to d-d-a does not an
> > open project make.
>
>         I agree with Joey here. The exhortations for people to stop
>  discussing our problems in the open, and  instead replacing the open
>  medium of conversation with deals struck in smokey backrooms amongst
>  the powerful few who matter probably do more harm than the flames.

Sometimes it becomes apparent that a mailing list discussion is not providing
any benefit.

While this discussion has improved general knowledge of the facts of the
matter and probably increased interest in helping with Python maintenance, it
seems that further discussion is not going to do much good.  Once a thread
degenerates into Canonical-bashing it seems that there is little possibility
of any good coming of it.

Until either Matthias becomes well enough to join a discussion or the packages
in question are NMUed I can't imagine anything changing in this regard.

It's really not uncommon for small groups of developers to discuss things
privately before raising matters for discussion on the lists or for list
discussions to be continued in private mail.

--
russell@coker.com.au
http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Main Blog