Re: Has Debian abandoned Python?

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 04:48:37PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 02:11:41PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> > The question of whether someone is doing an adequate job of maintaining a
> > package is a legitimate one.  The identity of their employer is
> > immaterial to an objective examination of this question.
>
> I think it *is* material in this instance:
>
> Versions of python-defaults in Debian:
> unstable: 2.5.4-2
> experimental: 2.5.4-3
>
> Version of package in Ubuntu:
> Version: 2.6.4-0ubuntu1 (karmic)
> Uploaded by: Matthias Klose
> On date: 2009-10-30 12:05:08 UTC
>
> That is over *two months* ago.

I am not sure this is the case here, but it could be that some manager
at Canonical ordered Matthias to upload 2.6 to Ubuntu as a matter of
company policy (after all, python is one of their core areas of
interest) against his technical opinion.

When it came to evaluating the same for Debian, his technical opinion
won (e.g. the problem with setup.py changes mentioned some time ago) for
the time being, and now that python2.6 would be ready to upload,
Matthias turned ill (or was distracted by other real life stuff for a
while before).

Michael