Re: Has Debian abandoned Python?

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 04:58:58PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> I do not completely agree that this is Canonical's fault.  IMHO it is
> our fault as well if we do not step in by using the defined ways we have
> (Technical Committee) and sort out the situation for the profit of our
> users.  Allowing *any* maintainer (be it an Ubuntu employee or not) to
> block important packages should not happen and I do not think that we
> should mix up this situation with Ubuntu relations which might or might
> not here one specific reason for the maintainer.  But there could be
> other reasons as well and we should care for the fact in general instead
> of fighting a Debian - Ubuntu flamewar.

Completely ack. It is not an ubuntu specific problem. It is a problem
due to misconception of personal ownership of packages. Core packages
should not be in the hand of a single maintainer: this should be
mandatory. Blocking maintainers should also be gently changed when
they are not able to step down themselves for what ever reason.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine