Re: doxygen + dot => anti-aliased png (was Re: Ridiculously large packages)

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 05:34:52PM +0100, Guus Sliepen wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 03:03:37PM +0100, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>
> > Just for reference. Some package (such as vtk-doc) became very large
> > due to a minor change in doxygen/dot. Now PNG files are generated
> > using cairo which by default is doing antialiasing. Using :
> >
> >   dot -Tpng:gd output.png input.dot
> >
> > force the use of libgd to create the png file. The file size was
> > reduced by a factor of 10 on the small experiments I played with.
> >
> > There is currently no easy way to update doxygen script to use this
> > trick (*). DD & DM have to resort hacking the DOT_PATH and have a fake
> > DOT script calling dot with the proper parameter.
>
> Perhaps it is better to generate SVG files? This will preserve the anti-aliased
> look, scale much better, and is probably even smaller than non-anti-aliased
> PNG.

Definitely.  I was just about to suggest the same thing.

I think the only requirement this might not satisfy is clickable links
in the image (can you do the equivalent of image maps with SVG images?)

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh