Re: debian/rules "make -f" restriction

Kalle Kivimaa wrote:

> the special cases are needed? debian/rules is a specific interface for
> Debian building, why are you using that same interface for other
> purposes?

It's just because we believe this is the easiest to use and easiest to
maintain way to do this:

Build a standard vdr-plugin-* package:

dpkg-buildpackage -tc -uc -us -rfakeroot

Build a development version of the vdr-plugin-* package from the same
source, but using the API of the development version of VDR and with a
different binary package name:

SPECIAL_VDR_SUFFIX=devel dpkg-buildpackage -tc -uc -us -rfakeroot

This way it works out-of-the-box with all the various build tools.

>From our point of view this is so easy to do and so easy to maintain (it's
working quite well for over 2 years now), that this very specific
requirement of the policy just seems to be a useless piece of bureaucratic
over-specificiation.

We are still thinking about different solutions, not requiring to change
the shebang line. But as said before - it's not that easy and it will most
likely increase the complexity of debian/rules. A lot of pain, without a
gain :-)

@all: Please don't feel offended because I question the policy here. It's
not because I don't like the policy, it's because I care about it!

Tobias