Re: Of the use of native packages for programs not specific to Debian.

Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> writes:

> If upstream == maintainer then why would there ever be an upstream
> release without a debian release?

It's rare for there to be an upstream release without a Debian release,
although it can happen during freezes or with frequent dev releases.  It's
very, very common for there to be a Debian release without an upstream
release, which is more where the problem is.  Going through all the normal
upstream release process when there was just a minor change to the
packaging files is really a waste of time, and then what happens is that
there's a temptation to not fix packaging problems until one gets around
to making another upstream release.

I went through all this with my own packages for which I'm upstream and
found that keeping the packaging separate from the upstream distribution
was way more convenient and useful for me.