Re: The 'git' Debian package in squeeze

* Vincent Danjean <vdanjean.ml@free.fr> [090917 11:05]:
> There is no way APT (or dpkg) knows that git/lenny should be remove
> instead of being 'upgraded' in git/squeeze.
>
> Note that adding a release (squeeze) without a git package will not
> solve the problem: the git/lenny package will not be removed from
> the system without an explicit action of the administrator.
> And the administrator can already remove the empty git/lenny package.
>
>   I cannot see a good solution here.

If gnuit(squeeze) Conflicts and Replaces git (< 4.9.5) and squeeze does
not have git, then git will be removed on upgrade to squeeze (there is
no git >= 4.9.5).

I do not know how aptitude deals with the automatic/manual flag in this
case, though.  Suppose a user has etch installed with git 4.3.20-10
(marked as manual in aptitude).  The upgrade to lenny will bring in
gnuit 4.9.4-1; I think aptitude will mark it automatic, but I am not
clear how aptitude handles the automatic flag when dealing with a
package that both Conflicts and Replaces a dummy transitional package.
If gnuit(squeeze, currently 4.9.5-1) Conflicts and Replaces git (<
4.9.5), the dummy transitional package will be removed, but since (in
the simple case) nothing else depends on gnuit and it is still marked
automatic, it will also be removed.

...Marvin