Re: Explicitely Cc bug reporters

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 10:21:07 +0200
Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:

> Paul Wise wrote:
> > I personally prefer not to be CCed on bug reports. I don't want to
> > recieve any mail about a bug unless it is asking me to supply more
> > information.
>
> So you *do* want to be CCed if the maintainer needs more information.
>
> Then there's one thing I don't get.
> - if we change the default to "always CC", nobody is going to
> explicitly CC submitters anymore; that's only logical, correct?
> - you choose not to subscribe
> - ergo, you will never see any requests for additional information
>
> How would you solve that problem within your proposal?

I see auto-subscribe as mainly a convenience for the submitter. It won't
solve the problem you mention. If the maintainer has a question
specifically to the submitter, he will have to cc him. I don't see any
other solution.

> As I've mentioned before, IMO there is only one valid reason to
> unsubscribe from BRs after we change the default, and that is if you
> *already* receive follow-ups because
> - the package has Maintainer set to a mailing list and you are
> subscribed to that list
> - you are subscribed to bug mails for the package through the PTS

Well, others might have their own reasons.

> I'm sorry that you consider receiving follow-ups an inconvenience,
> but IMO the benefit of in general being sure submitters will get
> follow-ups outweighs that.

While I personally like to be kept updated on all bugs I file and would
welcome an auto-subscribe feature, one has to accept the fact that
others might not. I always find it very irritating if The System
forces things on me because it thinks it knows what's best for everyone
and regards me as a half-witted imbecile who is not capable of making
his own decisions or anticipate their consequences.

Therefore there needs to be an opt-out feature. And it should be
clear how to opt out and simple to use.

> It will also solve the problem that I've seen numerous times that CCs
> from me directly get rejected by submitters through overly aggressive
> spam filtering. (And yes, I do send out mails through my ISP.)

No it won't. If there is no simple way to opt-out, the spam filter is
the only solution to work-around what some might consider an
inconvenience.

Cheers,
harry