Re: RFC: update-inetd migration to dpkp-triggers

On Mon, 2009-09-07 at 13:59:48 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 09:40:51PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > There are many obvious examples of update-foo scripts which behave in
> > this manner.  The requirement to run a script to update the working
> > configuration is nothing new in Debian.
>
> The only obvious example I have of an update-* script that a user has to run
> to effect changes to their config is update-grub.
>
> And update-grub has been an unqualified disaster.
>
> (Some of the reasons for which don't apply in this case, I'll grant you -
> but I certainly wouldn't agree that there are good precedents for this in
> Debian.)

The other one I can offer is update-exim4.conf, which is the default
from several ways to handle the exim4 configuration. But something I've
always found pretty confusing and always switched my boxes to use the
monolithic configuration file in /etc/exim4/exim4.conf. I'd would
consider using the conffile fragments under /etc/exim4/conf.d if those
were natively loaded by exim4 itself, a la apache.

regards,
guillem