Re: State of developers-reference

On Mon, 07 Sep 2009, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> - There are many open bugs, about things that should really be fixed or
>   added in dev-ref, but I don't have time to address them (I'm doing
>   "please provide a patch and I'll integrate it"-maintainance).

As a co-maintainer, I must recognize that I have not been very active
on it. I worked by burst on it a long time ago and since then I have simply
kept the part concerning the PTS and Alioth up-to-date.

And I applied patches that were ready as well. Much like Debian's policy,
I believe it's the right workflow, we should not have to draft everything
but we should ensure that what gets commited reflects sane and accepted
good practice.

> First, we need to decide whether we want to continue to maintain
> developers-reference.

Yes, I really think that we need such a document.

> If we decide to continue to maintain developers-reference, we should all
> participate.

Ack, unfortunately much like DeveloperNews, asking to participate doesn't
work very well.

On Mon, 07 Sep 2009, Steve Langasek wrote:
> I think the devref discussions (incl. bug traffic) need to be moved onto
> debian-policy.  We already have any number of bugs getting redirected from
> policy to the devref, so it's not as though there would be a massive traffic
> increase; and it would put the right set of eyeballs on the changes to
> ensure the result actually reflects best practices.

I think it's a good idea, at least it's worth trying. That should however
not mean that only delegated policy editors can maintain the package...
maintainership should still be relatively open like it has always been.
It might mean however that we might want to formalize the process
somewhat.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog