Re: DeviceKit and /usr

On Sat, Sep 05, 2009 at 11:02:51AM +0200, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> Am Samstag 05 September 2009 08:18:13 schrieb Steve Langasek:
> > On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 09:09:40PM +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> > > And it is also very unclear to me why this has to be in /lib/udev at
> > > all.

> > Because it provides a single point where the desktop hooks into the kernel
> > hotplug event system, instead of having hal redo all the work already done
> > by udev.  /That/ much has a sound rationale, even if reading text databases
> > in does not.

> It's still no rationale at all to use libglib.

Which is not the question I was answering.  But if you were just having a
rhetorical rant instead of trying to understand, then ok - noted.

The rationale for this /using glib/ is that devicekit-disks is not an
integral part of udev, it's an add-on component that will be installed only
on desktop systems.  So the size impact to /lib for servers for this
component would be negligible; the total size impact of pulling in libglib
on the desktop is zero; and the size impact to /lib for desktops is almost
certainly also negligible.

The upshot is that we almost certainly will have to move glib to /lib,
because there's no way we're going to persuade the devicekit authors that
they should avoid using libglib when it's already in /lib on all the systems
they care about (so it's not an FHS violation anyway), and I don't think
you're going to find anyone willing to maintain a devicekit fork either.

(I'll do you one better, though -- system-config-printer upstream wants to
install /lib/udev/udev-configure-printer, which pulls in the entire libcups
stack.  Sigh...)