Re: For the grub maintainers II

Philipp Kern wrote:
> Do you have os-prober installed?

I would not recommend having os-prober installed for this. os-prober has
always been intended to be run only _once_, mostly when a new system is
installed. It exists as a .deb to be used for example after a debootstrap
installation of a system (i.e. an install that did not use D-I).

It could also be used to update the boot loader configuration, but IMO
that should only happen by having the user run it explicitly.

It has never been intended to be used as part of an update-grub script and
to be run every time the bootloader configuration is updated because a
new/updated kernel was installed or one of the packages that affect an
initrd (udev, mdcfg, lvm, ...) are updated.

Relying on os-prober to migrate from grub1 to grub2 is bad anyway as it
will in no way preserve any existing manually added/changed boot menu
entries. Migrating existing "other os" entries really needs to be solved
in a different way.

Cheers,
FJP