Re: Release goal: Getting rid of unneeded *.la / emptying dependency_libs

[Andreas Barth]
> The idea is to ask all maintainers of the 672 packages to drop their
> *.la-file unless really needed, and any maintainer of any package to
> empty the dependency_libs.

As far as I know, there are 3 ways to handle static linking:
1) Document somehow what a real link line will look like, or let people
   figure it out on their own;
2) libtool;
3) pkg-config.

So, my upstream does not ship .pc files.  I've thought about creating
my own .pc files and trying to push them upstream, but haven't got
around to it yet.  Therefore, if I empty dependency_libs, anyone
wanting static linking of my library will have to know, a priori, what
its dependent libraries are.  Is this OK, or should I wait until I have
time to produce .pc files?
--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/