Re: piuparts-MBF: prompting due to modified conffiles which where not modified by the user

Holger Levsen dijo [Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 12:15:04PM +0200]:
> Hi,
>
> for some packages the piuparts upgrade test failed because dpkg detected a
> conffile as being modified and then prompted the user for an action. As there
> is no user input, this fails. But this is not the real problem, the real
> problem is that this prompt shows up in the first place, as there was nobody
> modifying this conffile at all, the package has just been installed and
> upgraded...
> (…)
> cherokee_0.99.20-1

As the maintainer for this package, I won't wait for the bug report to
arrive ;-)

Cherokee is a quick moving target, although it has settled down, and I
do hope not to see too much upstream movement until we decide to
freeze. We currently sit at 0.99.22-1, and Lenny ships with
0.7.2-4. Etch shipped with 0.5.5.dfsg-2 (because of some RFCs in the
upstream tarball).  Why am I mentioning those release numbers?

Cherokee completely changed its configuration file logic after 0.5 —
From a human-oriented configuration, it went to a format that's
human-modifiable but its prefered modification form is via the
cherokee-admin interface. Thus, a migrator script was included. I
feared havoc to wreck Etch to Lenny updates, but it was mostly
painless.

Cherokee's development rythm also changed substantially due to factors
that are completely off-topic here - What happened following 0.6 is a
quick sucession of iterations, introducing minor (but fundamental)
changes in the configuration file. If this file is meant to be
machine-managed, I have considered moving it over from
/etc/cherokee/cherokee.conf to /var/lib/cherokee/cherokee.conf — But
that is a move most likely to cause misunderstandings.

Still, if you look at my preinst¹ (and yes, I just spotted a silly bug
in my comparison syntax, which is due to be fixed soon :-P How come I
do «dpkg --compare-versions "$version" lt 0.8» twice and expect
different results‽), you will see there are 7 minor migrator scripts
that will affect Lenny → Squeeze migrations…

So, what do you suggest for this? Of course, this file _is_ a conffile
(i.e. should never be automatically overwritten, so just moving it
over to /var/lib is not just compiling with a different path set). If
I don't automatically upgrade the file, users will end up with a
confused daemon unable and unwilling to move on. How should I proceed
with this?

Greetings,

¹ http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/cherokee.git;a=blob;f=debian/cherokee.preinst;h=0c39283a3d883ff68958410b8b41d0ca8b8f547c;hb=HEAD

--