Re: Automatic Debug Packages

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <pochu27@gmail.com> writes:
> Russ Allbery wrote:

>> It sounds like listing them only in *.changes but not in *.dsc or
>> debian/control may be the easiest approach.
>
> Indeed, for the automatic-not-listed-in-debian-control ones. The others
> would be listed everywhere, but that is okay.

Yes, agreed.

Okay, to summarize what I think we've generally agreed on:

* Packages containing separate debugging symbols will have a dedicated
  package namespace, but that namespace will not be *-debug or *-dbg.
  We'll instead create a new one for this purpose.

* These packages are normal Debian packages with normal package metadata,
  but will generally have a symlink in /usr/share/doc/<package> pointing
  to the package for which they provide debugging information.

* They will go into a separate "debug" archive area, so the Section of
  such packages will be debug/<foo> where <foo> is the section of the
  corresponding binary package for which they provide debugging data.

* Those packages must be listed in *.changes like any other packages that
  are part of an upload.  They may or may not be present in debian/control
  and in *.dsc depending on the mechanism the package maintainer uses to
  generate them.

* The detached debugging symbols may use either the id or the debuglink
  mechanisms -- see Manoj's message for a summary.

Open questions:

* Can we limit this package namespace to *only* detached debugging
  symbols, not all the other sorts of debugging packages that people
  create with special compiler options or optional code features?

* What about contrib and non-free packages?  Do they just lose here?

* Can we require a one-to-one correspondance between binary package names
  and debug package names that provide symbols for that binary package?  I
  think we should; I think it would make the system more straightforward.

At some point, someone should probably open a Policy bug to track this
discussion and the resolution.