Re: Virtual package dyndns-client

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 08:34:47PM +0600, Timur Birsh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Torsten Landschoff wrote:
>
> > Timur Birsh brought it to my attention that my package ddclient provides
> > a virtual package "dyndns-client" that is not on the official virtual
> > package list at
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/virtual-package-names-list.txt
> >
> > It seems that I have missed the requirement to request a new virtual
> > package here at the time I introduced the provides.
> >
> > Therefore I now request that the virtual package
> >
> >   dyndns-client
> >
> > is added to the official list of virtual packages in Debian. If consensus
> > happens to be that this has no merits, I will of course remove the
> > Provides on ddclient.
>
> Can anyone please comment on this?

If the virtual package name is to be meaningful, there must be some definition
of what capabilities a dyndns-client provides to depending packages, e.g. a
specific command and options.  Does that exist?

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
It is easier to change the specification to fit the program than vice versa.