Re: Automatic Debug Packages

Le mardi 11 août 2009 à 08:24 -0500, Manoj Srivastava a écrit :
>         Hmm. I see very little benefit here. Firstly, to use build id,
>  you have to intercept the upstream build system and add --build-id
>  (and perhaps the --build-id-style) option to ld, instead of the current
>  method of letting the upstream build happen and working on the produced
>  objects -- this is more intrusive.  And what do we gain?

Without build IDs, GDB has no sure way to map the binary to the correct
detached symbols. Therefore it will read the whole file to compute its
CRC32 (!) and compare it to the one stored in the gnu_debuglink section
of the binary.

This sole issue is responsible for gdb taking up to several minutes to
produce a backtrace for binaries using big libraries like xulrunner. And
don’t even think of using the debugging symbols over the network in this
case.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :