Re: Automatic Debug Packages

Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org> writes:

> The only reason I can see for an extension like .ddeb is that it would
> signal that they're like more like .udebs than .debs (not for regular
> user consumption, may not have all the files under /usr/share/doc, may
> have some funky layout based on this build-id idea, whatever).

We could adopt some conventions for debug packages that would make them
still Policy-compliant without having many drawbacks, I think.  For
example, since debug information is practically by definition specific to
a given binary build of the package, I think most debug packages,
particularly if there's a one-to-one correspondence with regular binary
packages, qualify for having a /usr/share/doc symlink.