Re: Automatic Debug Packages

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 06:48:47AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > The main point is probably that they shouldn't live in the main
> > archive due to space reasons.  Of course we could also filter out
> > '*-ddeb*' or '*-dbgsym*' as long as it's not '*-dbg*', which should be

>         If automated debug packages should not live in the archive, why
>  should -dbg packages? As far as I can see, the issue should be based on
>  the content of the debug packages; either debug packages belong in the
>  archive, or they do not; independent of the tool chain used to assemble
>  them.

Most -dbg packages *shouldn't* live in the archive, but maintainers keep
adding them by hand anyway, and we don't have anywhere else to put them.
I'm not sure we would ever want to take packages that are referenced in the
source debian/control and move them to the separate debug archive, I think
that would play havoc with database consistency.  It also gives us no clear
way to tag files referenced in a .changes file as belonging to the debug
archive *except* for the package name, and there are certainly -dbg packages
that intentionally contain things other than detached debugging symbols and
which should not be grouped with the ddebs.

> > dropped at some point but should live in the main archive if present
> > as they're defined in debian/control.

>         They should be dropped iff the automated tools can create the
>  package; I doubt that the authors envisage 100% coverage (upstream
>  build systems are varied enough that 100% coverage would require AI
>  like capabilities).

No, 100% coverage just requires package maintainers to comply with a Policy
should from 10.1 ("By default, when a package is being built, any binaries
should include debugging information"), making upstream build systems a
non-issue.

The other end is that we need a usable hook for detaching the symbols
instead of discarding them, which is trivial for all debhelper-using
packages, and not at all trivial for packages not using debhelper.