Re: What is the best place for package meta-data ?

Le Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 09:17:22PM +0200, Paul Wise a écrit :

> I'd put the homepage in a "user" category and the VCS URLs in a
> "developer" category.
>
> The data in that database is gathered from .changes files and binary
> and source packages uploaded to ftp-master, except for debtags and
> translated descriptions (IIRC, not sure how those get in). Re-using
> that workflow for meta-data updates, say, by uploading metadata
> updates in .changes files instead of full packages could be useful.

Interesting idea…

I was about to propose to put all upstream-related metadata in a YAML-encoded
file, but if a .changes file is to be generated, the Debian control format may
be preferrable. Anyway, this would only make a difference if there were
multi-line field contents. Here is an example:

aqwa『debian-med』$ cat samtools/debian/upstream-metadata.yaml
DOI: 10.1093/bioinformatics/btp352
Homepage: http://samtools.sourceforge.net
PMID: 19505943
Reference: |
 @article{HengLi06082009,
 author = {Li, Heng and Handsaker, Bob and Wysoker, Alec and Fennell, Tim and Ruan, Jue and Homer, Nils and Marth, Gabor and Abecasis, Goncalo and Durbin, Richard and 1000 Genome Project Data Processing Subgroup,  },
 title = {{The Sequence Alignment/Map (SAM) Format and SAMtools}},
 journal = {Bioinformatics},
 volume = {},
 number = {},
 pages = {btp352},
 doi = {10.1093/bioinformatics/btp352},
 year = {2009},
 URL = {http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/btp352v1},
 eprint = {http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/btp352v1.pdf}
 }
Repository: https://samtools.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/samtools

The advantage of yaml format is that it is trivial to parse using existing libraries:

aqwa『debian-med』$ perl -MYAML -e '$/=""; my($fields) = Load(<STDIN>);  print $fields->{'DOI'}' < samtools/debian/upstream-metadata.yaml
10.1093/bioinformatics/btp352

I am unsure if it is a good idea to manage multi-line upstream meta-data
anyway. Are there other opinions on this ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,