Re: What is the best place for package meta-data ?

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 07:47:25PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> However, I realised that the Ultimate Debian Database, which I thought would be
> a nice place to host the data, works on a retreiving model rather than a
> pushing model. Before elaborating a complex workaround involving an
> intermediate place where maintainers could push their meta-data, does anybody
> think about an alternative? Andreas Tille suggested me the Package Entropy
> Tracker, but it would limit the system to packages hosted in a Subversion
> repository. This said, since many of the packages that caused us dig that
> question (software for which we would like to provide registration and
> bibliographic information) are mostly stored in a Svn, that may not be a
> blocker for making a poof of principle???

Well, I think my mail [1] was a bit missinterpreted.  *Currently* all gatherers
to feed information into UDD are using a retrieving model.  But PET has a
need to use a pushing model and now we might have another case where pushing
information makes much more sense than the currently implemented gatherers.
I did not intended to copy the PET solution (even if it is somehow similar
to what we might need) but I rather wanted to mention that chances are good
that a pushing modell might be implemented as well if the nature of the data
and their use suggests this.  There are no decisions made yet but at least it
was discussed in the PET Bof[2] at DebConf (but I don't think there were
recordings available).

Kind regards

     Andreas.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2009/08/msg00009.html