Re: Spam on the lists [Was: Re: Account Upgrade (Unex)]

Quoting Siggy Brentrup (debian@psycho.i21k.de):

> > This can be done by *anyone*, DDs and non, and all are encouraged to
> > do so. It's fundamental to have reports: without them we have a false
> > sense of spam-free mailing lists, when we all know it's not true.
>
> And if for whatever reason somebody wants to see your list disfunctional,
> you open an easy way to do so by implementing a bot that reports every
> message as spam.  Do you volunteer to fix such a situation?

.../...

> > http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/ListMaster/ListArchiveSpam
> > http://lists.debian.org/archive-spam-removals/review/
> > http://lists.debian.org/archive-spam-removals/review/stats.html
>
> Sorry, no time to read these.

You should have.

That would have teached you how your objection above is adressed. In
short, a message needs to be reported 5 times in order to be tagged as
*potential spam*.

Then, such messages are processed weekly by a bot and added to a list
that need to be reviewed again. A simple notation process is
applied. In short, it needs 3 DD to tag the proposed spam message as
real spam in order for the message to be finally removed from the
archive.

So, a tentative bot to report all messages from a list as spam would
be:

-defeated because a manual review is involved
-easily detected

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/SpamClean is showing the
results of such work for the debian-boot list. Please note that this
work is done to prove the feasability of the method. Of course, it is
nearly impossible to clean out the entire archive for the past
messages in all lists.

However, assuming that people who find spam in Debian lists report
them properly (either through the web interface or by bouncing them
back to the spam report mail address), it is quite easy to keep the
archive clean as it only needs a few motivated people to go through
the proposed spam on a regular basis and do the notation themselves.

In short: it works.