Re: Switching the default /bin/sh to dash

Hendrik Sattler wrote:

> Am Donnerstag 25 Juni 2009 05:21:45 schrieb Raphael Geissert:
>> I just noticed I forgot to say something:
>> > What won't change:
>> > * Bash will still be used as the default interactive shells for users
>>
>> * the sh symlink won't be modified on existing installations
>
> So that it will be even more strange that a script with bashisms works on
> some Debian Squeeze systems but not on others? Yeah, great idea.

reportbug indicates what /bin/sh points to, and it should be irrelevant,
since many people have been using all sort of shell interpreters as /bin/sh
for many many years.

> And so that all users that upgrade do not benefit from the goal of this
> change? Even better.

This is to avoid causing undesirable effects when upgrading. People have
always been concerned about such kind of changes, and they are more than
right. The goal is not to cause a chaos.

> I usually don't like those not-on-upgrade exceptions.

I'd prefer if comments were restricted to objective arguments and not
subjective; specially when they include unneeded sarcasm.

Regards,
Raphael Geissert