using OpenPGP notations to indicate keysigning practices [was: Re: GPG keysigning?]

On 06/23/2009 12:34 PM, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         Frankly, recording the details of the verification performed is
>  a first step to improving the ability to assess the strength of the
>  link in the web of trust. A simple key sig is not enough, there could
>  be a formal process to add to the WoT, say by sending a
>  signed(encrypted?) email to  wot@debian.org which has a formal
>  structure that specifies:
>    A) Name of signee
>    B) GPG id(s) of signee
>    C) Key fingerprint of signee
>    D) Method used to verify identity
>    E) Free form additional details
>
>         Of course, this should only be done if the owner of the key has
>  demonstrated they own the email address by decrypting the key and
>  adding it to the keyservers.

While i'm not sure this is a good idea in general, we already have all
the tools to do this sort of thing without defining gobs of new syntax
or setting up new auto-responders or debian-specific repositories of
this kind of data.  We just need to agree on the definitions of some terms.

OpenPGP allows for embedded attribute/value "notation" subpackets in a
certification.

 http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4880#section-5.2.3.16

So if we want to clarify just what went into the certification of a
particular key/UID, we could define some attribute names.  For example:

--> verification-strategy@wot.debian.org might define a set of
comma-separated values with well-defined meanings, and their presence
indicates an avowal of compliance.  those strings might include:

  checked-email: this signature was sent encrypted to the e-mail address
from the UID (e.g. using caff), and was not otherwise shown to the
public. (this notation should not be included on certification of a
photo ID, since there is no associated e-mail address)

  checked-govt-id: I verified the non-email part of the UID against what
appeared to be a valid, non-expired government-issued document

  was-at-keysigning-party: This verification was done as part of a
massive keysigning party (would this be useful? i don't know)

--> govt-issuer@wot.debian.org might be a distinguished name identifying
the apparent issuer of any validated identification, such as
/C=US/ST=NY/ for a NY State (USA) driver's license and /C=US/ for an
American passport. If you checked two IDs, you could include this
notation twice.  Maybe this should somehow include the type of document
as well?

Given a consensus-developed set of these attributes and their meanings,
and depending on your definition of what counts as "strong" practices,
you could re-compute the WoT only including signatures which meet the
guidelines you care about.

This would be public, of course, since they would be embedded in the
certification itself, and thereby published to the main keyservers.

And of course, these would just be assertions, in that we are relying on
the word of the certifier that they did in fact follow the associated
policies for that particular notation.  They would be signed by the
certifier, however, as a statement of what practices they engaged in.

I want to stress here that i'm not convinced that we need this level of
detail about certification practices.  but if we do, I'd prefer that we
use extant mechanisms in the WoT that other people can also use, rather
than develop a side-project debian-only repository of such information.

	--dkg