Re: Configurable debian/control & debian/rules

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 5:02 PM, Alexander
Reichle-Schmehl<alexander@schmehl.info> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Mathieu Malaterre schrieb:
>
>>   My question is simply: how do express that only one Binary package
>> requires a particular Build-Depends package, but the other remaining
>> Binary package should be fine ?
>
> You can't. You specify build-depends for _source_ packages, which in turn
> build the binary packages.  And since you can't specify to build a specific
>  binary package anywayą:  Why would you need to specify that a build
> depends is only needed for a single binary package?

Let's consider one source package 'foo' which can be build using a
--enable-super-duper-3rd-party-lib. My control file is then:

########################
Source: foo
Build-Depends: super-duper-3rd-party-lib

Package: libfoo

Package: libfoo-super-duper-3rd-party-lib
########################

Clearly only 'libfoo-super-duper-3rd-party-lib' 'Build-Depends' on
package 'libfoo-super-duper-3rd-party-lib', which make libfoo only
available on the limited subset of Arch for
libfoo-super-duper-3rd-party-lib...

Clearly this is an issue with availability on Arch, but I do not see
how to express: "Use libfoo-super-duper-3rd-party-lib only if
available" (I would then need to tweak debian/rules but this should be
easier).

Thanks,
--
Mathieu