Re: RFC: DEP-3: Patch Tagging Guidelines

Josselin Mouette wrote:
Le vendredi 19 juin 2009 à 13:01 +0200, Giacomo Catenazzi a écrit :
What is the point of introducing this spec if it is not made mandatory
at some point in the future?
so, IMHO we need a complete guidelines and start to use
it widely. It should not be complete or 100% precise
(so not yet the right time for bike-shading).
Then from time to time we could include some mature items
in the policy and discuss improvements.

“Some point in the future” does not have to be tomorrow. But if, right
from the start, the guidelines are designed so that they can’t be made
mandatory later, they must be broken somehow.

I'm not so sure, but it is not so important that we doesn't agree on
this point.

but on DEP-3?

No!

I think DEP-3 development should be stopped soon, and we should apply it.
Any thing that it will be included in the policy, it will not be DEP-3,
but based on DEP-3.

A step toward a standardization, but not a part of standard itself.

In this case I think we should use DEP-3 without discussion every details:
we need a larger user base, then we will discuss details for standardization,
but not now.

I think this was the original misunderstanding.

ciao
	cate